Add this Cheesy Easy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole to your weeknight dinner rota. Pot Pies make for a delicious and comforting meal during the fall and winter months. Rotisserie chicken, slathered in cheese and topped with buttery, flaky biscuit – your taste buds will thank you for this pot pie gem!
- PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
- COOK TIME: 1 HOUR 15 MINUTES
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR 25 MINUTES
- SERVINGS: 8 PEOPLE
- CALORIES: 556KCAL
- 12 Buttermilk Biscuits frozen (click for homemade recipe or use store bought)
FOR THE CHICKEN FILLING:
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken meat cut into 1-inch pieces or shredded
- from 1 rotisserie chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- ½ cup white wine dry or semi-dry
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound yellow or red potatoes peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 4 medium carrots peeled and cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen or 1 can corn drained
- 2-3 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- Flake sea salt optional
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Heat oven to 400°F and set oven rack to middle position.
Spray a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
Cover a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil and set the casserole dish in the baking sheet. (This will prevent any drippings spilling onto the bottom of the oven.
FOR THE BUTTERMILK BISCUITS:
Follow directions on this link. If making homemade, freeze for at least 30 minutes once formed. You can also use store-bought.
FOR THE CHICKEN FILLING:
Place oil, butter and onions in a large skillet set over medium heat. Cook 7-8 minutes or until onions have softened and are translucent.
Sprinkle the onions with flour and add the garlic and thyme. Cook 1 minute, stirring often.
Slowly whisk in 2 cups broth and the wine, scraping up any flavorful, browned bits. Whisk quickly to smooth out any lumps.
Whisk in the remaining 2 cups broth.
Add the bay leaves, carrots and potatoes.
Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer about 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are just fork-tender.
Uncover, add chicken, stir and continue cooking about 5-10 minutes or until liquid has reduced by about 1/3rd and vegetables are tender.
Add peas and corn; mix well.
Pour chicken filling into the prepared casserole dish and top with shredded cheese.
Set the frozen biscuits on top with 1-inch between the biscuits.
Brush the biscuits with melted butter and sprinkle with flake sea salt.
Bake at 400°F for 30-40 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown, cooked throughout and the chicken filling is bubbling in the middle.
Transfer the pot pie to a cooling rack and let rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley and serve.