This recipe for braised chicken with carrots and potatoes combines seared chicken thighs and tender vegetables in a single dish that makes for an easy and healthy dinner.
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Cook Time 40 minutes
- Total Time 55 minutes
- Servings : 4 servings
- Calories 573 kcal
- 4 large bone in skin on chicken thighs fat trimmed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 Yukon gold potatoes cut into 2 inch pieces
- 6 carrots peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch slices
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour can substitute whole wheat flour or gluten free flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
In a heavy large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the chicken and cook until brown, about 4-6 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
Add the onion to the frying pan and stir. Add the potatoes and carrots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and saute until the vegetables are beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
Add the flour and stir to coat. Add the white wine, simmer until the wine has cooked off. Add the chicken stock and smoked paprika. Return the chicken to the pan and bring to a boil.
Cover the pan, place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until the chicken and vegetables are cooked through.
Mix in the thyme. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, then serve.
- Little Helpers: If your kids are old enough to safely handle a vegetable peeler they can peel the carrots. I have a dull peeler that I let my 4 year olds use with supervision.
- Make Ahead: The carrots and onion can be prepped a day in advance.
Calories: 573kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 144mg | Sodium: 326mg | Potassium: 1623mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 15695IU | Vitamin C: 33.2mg | Calcium: 119mg | Iron: 8.7mg
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!