Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Zucchini Boats are a low carb, high protein meal. They’re the healthier way to enjoy the flavors of chicken parmesan!
- yield: 8 ZUCCHINI BOATS
- total time:1 HOUR
- prep time:15 MINUTES
- cook time:45 MINUTES
- 4 large zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
- grated mozzarella cheese
- 3 cups Easy Tomato Basil Marinara Sauce (or your favorite)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place 3/4 cup marinara sauce in the bottom of a 13×9″ baking pan and 1/4 cup in an 8×8″ pan. Set aside.
- Using a melon baller, carefully scoop out the flesh of each zucchini half, leaving 1/4″ border on the bottom and along the sides. Chop the flesh or process briefly in your food processor and set aside (optional).
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook 3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute 30 seconds more.
- Add the chicken and chopped zucchini flesh along with salt and pepper to taste, and break up the chicken with the back of a spoon. Cook 3-5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Drain the majority of the excess liquid carefully.
- Add the remaining marinara sauce and stir to combine. Simmer over medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Place the zucchini halves in the prepared pans. Fill generously with the meat the mixture and cover both dishes with foil. Bake 20-25 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.
- Top the zucchini boats with the parmesan and mozzarella, and bake until melted and bubbly. Serve and enjoy!
- Nutrition information is a rough estimate all marinara sauces are not the same. I advise to use one low in sugar and sodium to keep it close to these numbers.
- Make sure your zucchini are the same time to ensure even cooking.
- The zucchini boats and filling may be prepped ahead, and the entire meal may be assembled in advance.
Yield: 8 zucchini boats, Serving Size: 1 zucchini boat
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 226
- Total Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 46mg
- Sodium: 341mg
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 7g
- Protein: 20g
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!