Coconut Curry Chicken Meatballs – baked Thai flavoured chicken or turkey meatballs swimming in a rich, coconut curry sauce with sliced red bell peppers, wilted spinach and topped with fresh cilantro.
- PREP TIME 15 minutes
- COOK TIME 30 minutes
- TOTAL TIME 45 minutes
- YIELD: SERVES 4
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey (I like using something with about 5-7% fat)
- 3 whole spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon (3 g) minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml)coconut aminos (for paleo) or gluten free soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (omit if using soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) coconut oil
- 1 medium (150 g) white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (5 g) minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon (9 g)minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and cut into slices
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 14 ounce can unsweetened full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup (240 ml) chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons (15 ml) lime juice
- 1 large handfull spinach
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C.
- In a bowl combine all of your meatball ingredients.Mix well and form into tablespoon sized balls. You should end up with about 20 meatballs.
- Place balls on lined baking sheet and bake for 18 minutes.
- While the meatballs are baking, melt the coconut oil in a large skillet over a medium heat on the stove. Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes to soften.
- Add the garlic, ginger and red pepper and cook another 2-3 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and curry paste. Cook 1 minute.
- Add the coconut milk and chicken stock. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer. Let simmer for about 10 minutes or until the mixture begins to thicken and reduces down in volume.
- Stir in meatballs. Cook another 5 minutes or until the curry sauce has reduced down to your preference. The longer it cooks the thicker the sauce.
- Add the spinach and lime juice to the skillet. Stir and let the spinach wilt. Taste and season with salt if needed.
- Serve over rice or cauliflower rice and enjoy.
YIELD: 4 SERVING SIZE: 5 meatballs + sauce
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 397TOTAL FAT: 28gSATURATED FAT: 22gTRANS FAT: 0gUNSATURATED FAT: 1gCHOLESTEROL: 180mgSODIUM: 1196mgCARBOHYDRATES: 18gNET CARBOHYDRATES: 12gFIBER: 4gSUGAR: 5gPROTEIN: 10g
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!