This Corned Beef and Cabbage Slow Cooker recipe packs all of the deliciousness of corned beef into a meal that cooks itself. Tender Corned Beef and cabbage, carrots, & potatoes all cooked to perfection in the Crock Pot makes for an effortless meal.
How to Cook Corned Beef to Make it Tender
- Low & Slow: Brisket is a tough cut of meat and to get the very best results, it should be cooked low and slow. In this recipe, I use the slow cooker and I make sure to use the low setting.
- Give it time: This goes back to “slow”… this recipe calls for 8-10 hours and mine usually takes closer to 10. If your corned beef is tough, there’s a good chance it didn’t cook long enough.
- Rest your meat: As with most meats, allow it to rest for a few minutes before slicing.
- Cut across the grain: Brisket has long fibrous strands so it is very important to cut across the grain. In fact, this is one of the most important parts of this recipe!!
What Spices go on Corned Beef?
Corned Beef is beef brisket which has been cured and brined. When sold it often comes already seasoned or with a seasoning packet. The seasonings include beautifully fragrant spices such as whole allspice, peppercorns, mustard seeds, coriander to name a few. If your corned beef doesn’t have the spices you can add a couple of tablespoons pickling spices, a few pepper corns and a bay leaf. Bundle them up in cheesecloth and toss them into the slow cooker.
St. Patrick’s Day is the perfect time to enjoy an easy slow cooker recipe like Corned Beef and Cabbage. Using a crock pot makes this meal almost effortless!
- 1 corned beef brisket (3-4lbs)
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 2.5 – 3 cups water
- 2 lbs potatoes , peeled & quartered
- 2 large carrots , chopped
- 1 small head of cabbage , cut into wedges
Chop onion into large chunks and place in the bottom of a 6 qt slow cooker. Top with corned beef and seasoning packet.
Pour water into slow cooker until it just about covers the corned beef. Add garlic and bay leaves.
Cook on low 8-10 hours.
After the initial 3 hours, add potatoes and carrots to the slow cooker.
Two hours before serving, add cabbage wedges to the slow cooker.
Remove corned beef from slow cooker and let rest 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with potatoes, carrots and cabbage.
- Once cooked your corned beef should be tender (mine usually cooks closer to the 10 hour time). Appliances can vary, if your corned beef is not tender, it likely needs to cook longer.
- It is essential to cut your corned beef across the grain.
- Nutritional information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.