A deliciously Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken with crispy bacon pieces will become your new favourite dinner — WITH dairy free options!
Sweet and creamy honey mustard sauce that takes LESS than 5 minutes to pull together, with minimal ingredients and maximum taste. Yesssss, I’m ALL about that simple quick flavour. It’s an unconditional love type situation I have with honey mustard. But then there’s THIS creamy honey mustard that compares to nothing else. Just staring at these pictures all over again…..well, oh em gee.
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 level tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic, (or 3-4 cloves crushed garlic)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt to season
- 5 skinless and boneless chicken breasts (or chicken thighs)
- 1/2 cup diced bacon, trimmed of rind and fat (I used 4 small bacon rashers)
- 1/3 cup cream (light or reduced fat) *SEE NOTES FOR SUBSTITUTION OPTIONS
- 1 cup milk (skim, 2% or full fat – almond milk may be used for a dairy free option)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (corn flour) mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
In a large, shallow dish, combine the honey, mustard, garlic, oil and salt to taste (not too much salt if serving with bacon as the bacon will add a salty flavour when served). Coat chicken evenly in the sauce. Set aside.
- Heat a nonstick pan (or skillet) over medium heat. Fry bacon until crispy; transfer to a plate. To the same pan, sear chicken fillets on each side in the oil left over from the bacon until just beginning to brown (about 3 minutes per side — not completely cooked through as we will finish them in the sauce).
- Add any remaining honey mustard sauce into the pan along with the cream and milk. Bring to a simmer while stirring occasionally to mix the favours through the sauce (about 3 minutes), until the chicken is cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a warm plate.
- Pour the cornstarch mixture into the centre of the pan, mixing it through the sauce until it thickens. Place chicken back into the pan; coat with the sauce. Top with the bacon and garnish with parsley.
- Serve over steamed / roasted vegetables for lower cal options. Also great with pasta, rice or mashed potatoes!
*Replace the cream with milk of your choice. Just make sure you LOVE the flavour of the milk you are using as it will impact the flavour of your sauce! I recommend skim, 2% or full fat. You can also use almond milk for a dairy free option.Nutritional information is based per serve, including cream.
Calories: 327kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 100mg | Sodium: 186mg | Potassium: 533mg | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 480IU | Vitamin C: 4.9mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 0.7