A thick and lightened up Creamy Parmesan Garlic Herb Chicken Mushroom with a kick of garlic is your new favourite dinner recipe! With the option of NO heavy cream at ALL!
- PREP: 10 MINS
- COOK: 50 MINS
- TOTAL: 1 HR
- SERVES: 6 People
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 6 chicken thighs (skin on or off, bone in or out)*
- 2-3 teaspoons garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 400 g (14 oz) cups sliced mushrooms (1½ cups)
- 1 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1½ cups evaporated milk*** (half and half or cream if using: see notes)
- 1 teaspoon chicken bullion powder (or stock powder)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (cornflour) mixed with 2 tablespoons of extra 2% milk****
- 3/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese , divided
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley (EXTRA), to serve
OPTIONAL ADD IN:
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 cups broccoli florets, lightly steamed
- Preheat oven to 200°C | 400°F.
- Season chicken with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Heat cooking oil spray in a large, non stick and oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Sear chicken thighs until golden and crispy on each side (about 3-4 minutes each side).
- Transfer chicken to the oven and roast until completely cooked through, (about 25-30 minutes).
- Once chicken is done, transfer to a warm plate and set aside. Drain some of the excess fat from the skillet, reserving 2 tablespoons for added flavour.
- Return skillet to the stove over medium-high heat and sauté the garlic in the pan juices until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add the mushrooms, herbs and 2 teaspoons of parsley and fry until mushrooms begin to soften.
- Reduce heat to low-medium heat, add the milk (or cream) and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally, and being careful not to boil. Add in the bullion powder and season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Pour the milk/cornstarch mixture to the centre of the pan, and continue to simmer while quickly stirring the mixture through until the sauce thickens.
- Add 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese; allow sauce to simmer for a further minute until cheese melts through the sauce. Add the chicken back into the pan and allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes in the cream to take on the flavours. Taste test and add extra salt or pepper, if desired.
- At this point, add in the optional add-ins, if desired. Allow spinach to wilt (if using).Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of parsley and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- Serve with steamed rice, over steamed vegetables or pasta.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!