Delicious Chicken Chimichanga Recipe – it is a baked burrito, stuffed with chicken, cheese and mild chilies.
- Prep Time15 mins
- Cook Time15 mins
- Total Time30 mins
- Servings: 6
- 2 cooked boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 4 oz. can diced mild chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Mexican White Sauce more for serving
- 6 flour tortillas
- butter for brushing
- salsa for serving
Preheat the oven to 400F.
Bring large saucepan filled half way with water to a boil, add chicken breast and cook on medium heat until it is cooked thru and chicken is no longer pink inside. Drain the water and let it cool. Using hands or two forks tear the chicken into small pieces.
Warm tortillas on top of the stove for few seconds, it will make them soft and flexible.
In a mixing bowl combine chicken, ground cumin, cheese, chillies, Mexican White Sauce, salt and pepper. Give it a good mix.
Place 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture on center of each tortilla. Fold the sides, then the bottom side up, to cover the filling, roll over to create chimichangas.
Brush each chimichangas with butter and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden color. Serve with leftover Mexican White Sauce, Guacamole or cabbage salad.
- Use any leftover chicken, leftover Thanksgiving turkey or cook chicken to make chicken chimichangas.
- Store cooked chimichangas in airtight container or zip bag, inside the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Make ahead chimichangas – freeze unbaked chimichangas in airtight container or zip bag. Unthaw by placing frozen chimichangas in the fridge over night, bake using instructions in this recipe.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!