An easy recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup, perfect for those people who want a hearty and comforting meal! Especially when someone in my family is sick. When you’re not feeling well, there’s nothing like a nourishing bowl of Mom’s chicken noodle soup to make you feel better. This delicious chicken soup is quick and easy to make in your pressure cooker.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 medium carrots peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 ribs celery chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ¾ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 ounces egg noodles
- chopped fresh parsley optional, for serving
- Press the sauté button on the Instant Pot and add the olive oil to the pot. Once the pot is hot, add the onion, carrots and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies start to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic.
- Press “Cancel” to turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add the dried oregano, thyme, bay leaf, salt, pepper, broth and water to the pot. Stir. Nestle the chicken into the broth.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and turn the valve to the sealing position. Pressure cook on high pressure for 7 minutes. The Instant Pot will take about 20 minutes to reach pressure and then the cook time will begin counting down.
- When the cook time ends, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for 10 minutes. Then, carefully release the remaining pressure by turning the steam release valve to the venting position using the handle of a long spoon.
- When the pin drops down, open the Instant Pot lid. Remove the bay leaf and discard. Remove the chicken to a clean plate, bowl, or cutting board. Let the chicken rest for a few minutes and then shred the chicken.
- Press “Cancel” to turn off the warm setting and then press “Saute.” Add the noodles to the pot and let them simmer for about 5 minutes, until just tender. Turn the Instant Pot off.
- Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup. Taste soup and season with additional salt and pepper as needed. Serve soup with fresh parsley, if desired.
- To make this recipe with frozen chicken, increase the pressure cook time to 12 minutes plus a 10 minute natural pressure release.
- If using bone-in chicken, pressure cook for 10 minutes followed by a 10 minute natural release.
- To cook chicken noodle soup on the stove top, follow the recipe as written except instead of pressure cooking, simmer soup on the stove (covered) for about 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken to shred, and add the noodles to the pot, simmering until noodles are cooked. Return the shredded chicken to the pot and serve.