This takeaway favourite is freezer-friendly and quick to reheat, giving you the chance to get ahead and save money.
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 25g butter
- 4 onions, roughly chopped
- 6 tbsp chicken tikka masala paste (use shop-bought or make your own – see recipe, below)
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2½ cm cubes
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 2-3 tbsp mango chutney
- 150ml double cream
- 150ml natural yogurt
- chopped coriander leaves, to serve
- Heat 4 tbsp vegetable oil and 25g butter in a large, lidded casserole on the hob, then add 4 roughly chopped onions and a pinch of salt. Cook for 15-20 mins until soft and golden.
- Add 6 tbsp chicken tikka masala paste and 2 red peppers, cut into chunks, then cook for 5 mins more to cook out the rawness of the spices.
- Add 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 ½ cm and stir well to coat in the paste. Cook for 2 mins, then tip in two 400g cans chopped tomatoes, 4 tbsp tomato purée and 200ml water.
- Cover with a lid and gently simmer for 15 mins, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the lid, stir through 2-3 tbsp mango chutney, 150ml double cream and 150ml natural yogurt, then gently warm through.
- Season, then set aside whatever you want to freeze. Scatter the rest with coriander leaves and serve with basmati rice and naan bread.