One pot cheesy chicken broccoli rice is a quick & easy skillet dinner that is also gluten-free! Only a few simple ingredients and you have a delicious, cheesy, family-friendly skillet dinner.
- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Cook Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes
- Servings 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into small, bite-sized pieces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked basmati OR long-grain rice
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bag (12 oz) frozen steamable broccoli (about 2 cups chopped broccoli)
- 2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese
- In a 12-inch skillet pan (make sure it has a lid) heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in the chunked, bite-sized chicken, and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Cook 4-6 minutes, stirring frequently, until chicken is mostly non-pink in the middle.
- Add rice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover with lid, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 12-15 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is cooked.
- While rice and chicken is simmering, cook the microwaveable broccoli in the microwave following the instructions on package. Once done, chop up the broccoli into smaller pieces, if wanted.
- When rice is done cooking, add broccoli and 1 cup of the cheese into the skillet pan. Stir together. Top with the remaining 1 cup shredded cheese and cover with the lid. Let cook for about 2 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
- You can use long-grain white rice instead of the basmati. I just love basmati rice because it cooks up perfectly and is always no-fail.
- If you don’t want to use the 12 oz bag of microwaveable broccoli, simply cook fresh broccoli in a pot, and then chop it and add it to the skillet pan. Using the microwaveable broccoli makes it so easy and quick.
- I like to drain some of the water/chicken juices that are in the pan after cooking the chicken. You don’t have to, but I like to.
- If your chicken breasts are big then only use 2.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!